Sunday, July 31, 2011

How an onion saved my life

Okay, maybe it didn't save my life, but it did save my sanity.  See, Caleb has been teething for a few weeks now, so he has been waking up in the middle of the night screaming.  Which of course means, I have been up in the middle of the night.  The teeth finally break through, but of course, just our luck, he gets sick.  Well, I don't know, maybe he is still just teething, but either way, his nose has been so stuffed up.  And that means, once again, he has been waking up in the middle of the night because he can't breathe.  At this point, it's been about 2 1/2 weeks of no sleep for me...and David too, he gets up with our babies too!  Anyway, no sleep makes for a grumpy  mommy.  Just as I am getting to my breaking point, I remember a little old Chinese trick my Mama taught me when Sammie was a baby.  Onions!  That's right, when your baby is congested, you chop up some onion, put it in a sock and put it in their crib.  Yes, it is stinky, but I will take stinky over waking up 2 times a night with a crying baby any night!  We have put onions in Caleb's bed 3 nights now and he has slept aaalllllll night long...9:00 - 6:30.  I've checked on him during the night and he is breathing  fine, not stuffed up at all.  Amazing huh?  So the moral  of the story....Some times you have to forget about the doctors and medicine and go with some old Chinese remedies. 


On a side note, you can also rub the onion on your baby's head, but I think that's a little much.  Stinky crib  I can handle; I'd feel bad if I made my baby that stinky though.


2 comments:

  1. Wow praise God you got some sleep! And what a neat trick. I will remember that next time mine are sicky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so awesome Jenny! I will definitely have to try this with my little guy!

    ReplyDelete