Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Sensory and Sammie

As a mom, some times you get a feeling that something just isn't quite right.  Well, I've had that feeling for about a year now when it came to Samantha's behaviors.  There was nothing that concerned me so much that I was worried, but still, something was off.  I thought it was just the terrible 2s.  Sammie was just trying to find her place and see how much she could get away with.  Let me tell you, David and I do not back down.  When we say there is going to be some kind of consequence for her actions, we follow through. And Samantha learns quickly.  It may take her a few minutes of screaming in her room, but she will come out and pick up her toys, or do whatever it is we have asked of her, with a smile through her tears, saying "I'm ready to be a good listener now."
There have been somethings though that Samantha just won't back down from.  Brushing her hair for example.  It is an all out battle some times when it comes to brushing her hair...screaming, hitting (Not by me, by her...ok, maybe a little screaming by me).  And no matter what consequences we give her, she will not back down.  I've fought with her for over an hour on a few occassions, just to comb her hair. And every time we go through this, I think "This just isn't right." But, I must admit, as a kid, I didn't like my hair brushed, so I thought she just took after her Mama.  What really started me thinking was when she started asking to put bows in her hair.  I was so excited and thought my baby was finally getting into the girly stuff.  The moment I would put a bow in though, she would cry and take it out.  The same thing with clothes.  She has things she refuses to wear.  For a while she wouldn't wear dresses.  Now she has a few she will wear, but not many.  And again, there have been times where she has picked out a dress and has asked to wear it.  I put it on and she starts screaming to take it off. And again I think, "This isn't right."
Working with kids with DD, I know a little bit about sensory integration  and I have known a few kids on sensory diets.  Many times, when talking to parents, I would think to myself or even say aloud, "That sounds like Sammie." This too got me thinking.  I thought, maybe Sammie had some sensory stuff going on, but then I thought I was being overly sensitive because I am around it so much....Besides, the only kids I know with sensory processing disorder have other diagnosis' like autism, ADHD, Down's Syndrome. My sweetheart doesn't have any other diagnosis.  I decided to just keep watching her.
Well, after about a year of watching her, I finally decided to email her doctor and just ask.  Not so much because I was worried, more because I was frustrated....Her screaming over brushing her hair and teeth, her pickiness when it came to what she wore and the fact that she needed the tags off of clothes all the time,  her constant pinching, her constant need to move, her throwing a fit when people tried to hold her or even touch her...it was just getting to me.  And plus, I didn't want her getting in trouble for things she really couldn't control....that's not fair to  her.
I gave a few examples to the doctor, who then made a referral for the OT.  I filled out some paperwork and then we met with the OT. She explained Sensory processing disorder and explained tactile defensiveness and sensory defensiveness.  She explained what proprioception was and how some kids needed touch/tactile activities and/or deep pressure activities to help self regulate.  Then she talked about different things some kids do and she described Sammie to a T.  I was so happy to know that I was right when I thought something wasn't right...that I wasn't crazy and that my daughter wasn't just being bratty.  It also made me happy to know that there were ways to help.  We need to put Sammie on a sensory diet, which is a combination of sensory based activities.  Everyday, we will be doing stuff to help her ability to control her level of alertness. I'm hopeful that this will help.
With all that said, Sammie is not that bad at all.  Had I not known about sensory integration, I would have just thought I had a difficult child....a little challenging and strong willed. But, I am happy that we decided to take Sammie to the OT.  Knowing what is going on with her is going to help us help her and understand her. Now, hopefully we will be able to explain this to our family and friends and have them understand.  You just don't hear about sensory processing that much, so I know people will have questions (I still have questions!), and some might not even believe it.   I guess we will just take it one day at a time and one person at a time....

Sammie loves being upside down

And she loves climbing on the furniture

She is always spinning

And the swing is her favorite


And she is always pinching, but doesn't always realize it

No comments:

Post a Comment